Tuesday, April 19, 2011

bindings

Yesterday I worked on bindings, not my favorite part of quilting that's for sure! I have had these quilted since January and sitting in a pile on my sewing desk. I started binding the smallest quilts and still have 5 more to go. Above is my Tiger quilt, I had a yard of the tigers and half a yard of the dark rust. I bought the fabric with a pillowcase in mind but when I got this book(no I can't remember the name) I turned it into a small quilt. I hope to do a few more of these quilts in the future, I have the fabric bought for an oriental version and a tropical iris with orange and turquoise colors.

UFO alert!!!! This little stack and whack fan is about 12 years old now. Mom made it when she was doing Fan classes. The blocks were cut from a pre-print 30's panel. Some of the coolest fan blocks were made from pillow panels and this was a quilt panel she found on the shelves of my quilt shop. It hung on the wall and made the class rounds as a top and when I closed the shop I kitted it up with back and binding with plans to quilt it someday. It lived at Mom's awhile and then it finally made it to the 'to be quilted shelf". I like to do baby quilts when I get a pile of odds and ends batting, it's easier to piece small bits of batting for baby quilts and I like using up leftovers. This little quilt does have two stains that must be treated in the wash before being given away, with all the traveling this quilt has done it's no wonder there are spots and stains.



I picked up this print fabric in Fremont in their sale room FQ's awhile back.....ok over a year ago...well anyway I matched the green from our sale room and pink from the front and this little baby quilt was born. It was a challenge to myself to make something out of the 2 FQ's, oh and it was a challenge because it was hard to match and not much fabric to make anything bigger. I'm happy with the end result and a sweet baby girl will love it I'm sure.





Last but not least in my binding day was this bright little quilt. I made all the blocks and had them pinned to a design board. Kristin set them together and added borders. Most of the fabric came from work.









1 comment:

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Bindings aren't my favorite part of quilting either. But, since I learned Judy Laquidara's way of doing them by machine it's not quite so bad. It's hard to tell from the front that they aren't hand done but goes quicker. Just have plenty of really thin pins on hand.