Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Presents

I've started my Christmas sewing! The top pic is two color book bags with pockets on the outside for crayons. I liked the Mary Engelbright print for little girls. The next bags I make I will quilt a yard or two on the quilting machine and then assemble them. I think they make great presents!
This pic is hot pads made with 5 layers of flannel and insulbright. Slash the top three layers and wash to chenille them. This is before washing..........I wanted to try the method before I bought a cutter, don't think it's worth buying the cutter for two hot pads. (mom told me she has one so I'm going to borrow it) Hot pads are on my list of things to make for little gifts, I like to give practical gifts and who doesn't need hot pads?

I spent Earth day thinking of ways to save and reuse. I have been reading alot of stuff about saving and such latley and have come to the conclusion that I already do most of the hints and tips the experts give for saving money and saving the enviroment. I have been doing most of the stuff they suggest for years, all the way from breast feeding and cloth diapers to taking lunch to work to fabric shopping bags......so my goals this year is to be even cheaper than I usually am, spend less money, use it up, go without and still have a little fun along the way. Not sure how I'm going to get cheaper but where there's a will there's a way!
This is just a short list of the little things I thought of today that helps save......
  1. Cooked dinner in the crockpot, beef roast we bought by the half from the local locker.
  2. Drank water from the tap. (don't buy bottled water)
  3. Shorter shower this morning. (have water saver shower head)
  4. Ate leftovers for lunch.
  5. Opened windows instead of turning on airconditioning.
  6. Washed laundry in cold water.

The way I look at it every little bit helps and it saves $$$$ too!

1 comment:

ytsmom said...

Can you give a little more info on the potholders? Is it flannel, insulbrite, 4 layers of flannel? Then you cut the top 3 layers of flannel?? Thanks, Carmen