Thursday, November 6, 2008

Zoo Nebraska

O'Ryan just wanted to be petted this day, he rubbed the fence till I scratched his shoulder and back. Hard to get a tiger to pose for pic's, they pace and I keep missing their faces, I have lots of pic's of backs.
I can't remember her name to save my life, I've always called her Pretty Girl. She is a Lucistic Coyote. That means she is not an albino because she has blue eyes. Pretty Girl is 17 or 18 years old I'm guessing, we got her from the Grand Island Zoo when they closed. She was found by a Western Nebraska rancher as a pup and given to the zoo because she would of never survived in the wild due to her color. She is so old that she is blind and deaf, I couldn't get a good pic last year because she would see me and run, this year she didn't know where I was so I could get her pic if I walked up slow and quiet. I hope she survived the trip to her new home.

Arthur is my favorite King of the Jungle! He seems to like me for some reason, I sit with them a lot and he lays by the fence in front of me, if the tigers come near he fights them away, its awesome being that close to such wonderful animals! Victor, William and Cassie are in the background, as I said before it's hard to get them to stand and pose because they are always pacing.
I will miss the wolves a lot, they are wild and spooky creatures. I am impressed with the way they never got used to me and never trusted me like my other wolves did. I really miss Denali and Whispers the most....they were like pet dogs.



And Fred is just Fred. What can I say, Fred loves me so much he is always to close to take a good pic, he wants me to scratch him all the time, he follows me everywhere and I even had to bribe him with 6 loaves of bread to keep him busy while I got around to take everyone's pic. He is such a big pet it's pitiful!


I am really sad the zoo is closed and the animals are gone, I loved working there and really got attached to them all, its been almost a week and this is the first I've been able to write about it because it has bothered me so much. I know it's best for them to be where there are more people to see them and love them but I still am going to miss them....

1 comment:

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Have all the zoo animals gone to new homes by now?

Linda